Thursday, September 11, 2014

I think I am starting to get this...

Ok, so I think I am following what I am supposed to do now. It really is just about something I believe in. Cool! That means I can write this paper better. I am loving the choices of writings. I cannot write something when someone makes me write about one certain thing. My brain is way to scattered to write about one thing. Even my credo, believing in acceptance basically, can stem off into a million different topics. I am passionate about this belief for one reason: I have witnessed and been part of it. You see, there have been several major instances in my life where I have personally been a victim of harassment. Most of the time it is about my tats. One time, I walked into a church and a little old lady told me I didn't belong there. I left and have only been back a few times to a church. I will hold a door open for an older couple and they look at me like I am Satan. I don't even have anything vulgar. I sport a visible music staff, a flower bracelet with my daughter's name, and a cross and a rose. So terrible I know. Another instance where I have been harassed is with an exboyfriend. I am very fair complected. He was a black man. An absolutely wonderful guy! When we would go out, TONS of people would look at us. Again, the older crowd especially. One time someone told him if it was 50 years ago he would shoot him right there. It was appalling. Then a topper is I have two kids. No one knows they are from 2 different husbands (except my friends of course) but when people see the kids and no ring, that gets me looks too. My son acted out at the store once and I heard a lady say, "I bet he acts like that as the father probably isn't involved." That is so not true by the way. The world sucks. People generally suck. All of us are guilty of this. You see someone of Arab decent and think of 9/11. People try to say they are not discriminatory, but they lie. Everyone does something. Even me complaining here, I have been guilty of it too. I know I have. Even distasteful jokes. It is wrong. We are all so wrong. I wish there was more I could do to change it. I wish everyone could realize no matter what a person is does or says that we are all the same. We all eat and drink and sleep and love people. We all have family and friends. We all go through tough times. Things like this cause horrible things to happen. Hate crimes. Terrorism. When will it stop? I don't know, it will probably take nuclear warfare.

2 comments:

  1. Fortunately, we are not defined by what others think of us. Good thinking piece. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have read this while you still lived here. My girlfriend Tiffany has tattoos and goes to a church that is very open and accepting. It is a shame that people are still judged on trivial things. The world is changing. Can we as individuals do better to follow God? Of course. First step is stop judging others and be more concerned about your own flaws!

    ReplyDelete